JACKPINE GYPSIES MOTORCYCLE CLUB
Hall of Fame Inductee - Pre 2001 (1997)
The Jackpine Gypsies Motorcycle Club was chartered by the American Motorcycle Association in 1937 and played an important role in the growth of the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally by holding a "Gypsies Tour" through the southern Black Hills. Throughout the Rally’s history the Gypsies Tour continues to provide an introduction for motorcycle enthusiasts to the scenic beauty of the Black Hills.
Half Mile Flat Track racing at the Sturgis Fairgrounds was introduced early in Rally history, giving many of the young and newly initiated race competitors an opportunity to accumulate points and advance from novice to expert professional racers.
As the rally evolved so did the Jackpine Gypsies. They introduced hill climbs, short track racing, vintage TT and motocross racing and most recently dirt drags, slow races and a myriad of events attracting a broad spectrum of participants. The common denominator for the Jackpine Gypsies membership was the motorcycle and its utilization in competition, recreation and transportation.
The club has shouldered civic responsibility in numerous ways. They donated fill dirt for construction of the Sturgis Community Center and parking lot and have been members of the Sturgis Chamber of Commerce for more than 26 years. One of the bonds that serve to tie the club together is family. Their facilities are available to local racing families, giving kids the opportunity to acquire skill on the oval, the hill or the mogul while more often than not, mom and dad work as the pit crew.
In 1985, the Jackpine Gypsies were recognized by the AMA as the "Top Road Club" and awarded the AMA Number 1 patch and belt buckle. For 66 years the Jackpine Gypsies Motorcycle Club has made substantial contributions to motorcycle sports, touring, family and the community of which it is part.